We love Walt Disney World any time we can go, and have been four times so far, but here are 3 reasons why our early December visit is still our most favourite and magical of them all:
1) The Atmosphere – Disney World is an incredible sight outside of the holidays, but imagine row upon row of garland, decorative wreaths, twinkling lights, shimmering snowflakes and festive sounds and sights galore, all throughout the park. The spirit and décor of the season make it the most merry, magical time to visit! The holiday trees in each theme park are decorated with hundreds of intricate ornaments and are truly spectacular, each making a wonderful backdrop for family photos.
The characters were also extra merry and bright, all of them adorned in festive costumes. The daily parades and shows are full of extra-cheer with tons of holiday accents adding to the joy of already wonderfully entertaining activities to watch as a break from the rides. Some of the rides are even re-named and decked out for the holidays (“Jingle” Cruise, for instance) Also, the food selection in the restaurants is full of the flavours of the season. Then there’s the very special visit with Santa outside of Town Hall – the most authentic one the kids have met to date!
And finally, the not-to-be-missed Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. An advanced ticket event, it is amazing, festive fun for the entire family. You’ll join Mickey through his joyous adventures in this Christmas celebration full of live entertainment, spectacular fireworks and an oh-so-jolly holiday parade. Seeing Cinderella’s Castle all aglow with ever-changing illuminations (over 200,000 of them!) resembling a wintery wonderland is as enchanting as you can imagine. The atmosphere is magic amplified!
Visit Walt Disney’ World’s Holiday Events Page for more info.
2) The Weather – December for us Canadians can be frigid and snowy. While this is something we love about living here, it was also a nice break to head to a warmer climate during our Winter season. We’ve been to Disney World four times (twice in the Spring, twice in the Winter) – the most pleasant weather we experienced was on our December visit. Warm, but not unbearable like one visit in March which was way too hot to fully enjoy so much time outdoors. In December, the mornings were cool, but by afternoon, so pleasant and t-shirt friendly.
3) The Crowd – Parents will appreciate this one major reason we loved visiting the park the beginning of December. It’s just after the American Thanksgiving crowd, and just before the kids are off for holiday break. The line ups for rides were significantly less than when we went for Spring break, and less waiting makes for a much more enjoyable day for all. Crowd volumes typically correlate to kids’ school calendars, so visiting the first two weeks of December ahead of the holiday crowd is a terrific time to go.
- The only challenge about vacationing this time of year is returning to have unpacking to do while also hustling to get holiday-ready at home. Do yourself a favour and get as much wrapping, shopping, tidying done as you can before your trip so your holiday to-do list when you return isn’t as overwhelming.
- Did you know Disney has a Moms Panel? Have any burning questions you have answered by Disney Mom Experts who are in “the know” about making the most of your visit with your family.
On our visit last March, we were THAT family – all matchy matchy in our custom Family Disney shirts. It was a lot of fun, and made for great photos, so get in the spirit and head on over to these shops for your personalized family shirts. You’ll pay significantly less than if you try to have any personalization done at the park.
If you’re lucky enough to be heading to Disney World this holiday season, we wish you and your family the most magical time!