While we’ve been waiting for Spring to, well, spring around here (we may be skipping it altogether here in the Toronto area and going straight to Summer!), #DadChef and I have been trying out some Spring-y recipes. In lieu of heading to a busy restaurant for Mom’s Day, I’ve already given the fam a nudge that a quiet, simple celebration at home enjoying some of these Spring Brunch Recipe delights would be perfect!
They are all super easy to make, and there are some additional ‘mom-approved’ contributions from fellow Mamas Maya of Mayahood Blog & Emily of The Best of This Life we can’t wait to try for our family brunches.
6 Mom-Approved Spring Brunch Recipes
**Updated May 2023 – now with 18+ delicious Mom’s Day Brunch Recipe Ideas**
1) Butter Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
Our first recipe is inspired by our fam’s weekly pizza nights, with an eggie twist! This one can be served for brunch or dinner…and it’s delish! Even the skeptical pizza connoisseur (#DadChef) approved a repeat of this one – Butter Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza!
Butter Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
- 1 sheet butter puff pastry
- 6 slices precooked/sliced breakfast ham
- 1/2 ball mozzarella cheese grate
- 4-6 large eggs as many/few as you like
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon of water whisked for egg wash
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 6 clippings fresh chives snipped for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Removed puff pastry from fridge or thaw if frozen.
- Place puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Very gently roll up the edges of the pastry to create a small edge for the crust. Brush the entire pastry with the whisked egg wash.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar over pastry. Add chopped/pulled apart ham slices. Crack each egg separately in a bowl, then gently pour it onto the pastry in the desired spot. Repeat for as many eggs you'd like to add (up to 6 max). Sprinkle black pepper over toppings.
- Bake the pizza for approx. 20 mins (until the pastry and cheese are golden and the eggs are set. Removed the pizza and sprinkle with chopped chives. Wait approx. 5 mins for it to cool then slice with a pizza cutter & serve!
2) Avocado Brunch Bites
This one was inspired by our recent trip to Mexico and is guacaholic-approved! Warning: these Avocado Brunch Bites are SO good, you may be find it hard to not eat the whole batch in one sitting (like I almost did ;))!
Avocado Brunch Bites
- 3 avocados ripe
- 1/2 lime
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 tbsp feta in brine crumbled (*lighten up with reduced fat version*)
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread 6 3/4 inch slices
- 6-8 grape tomatoes sliced into halves or quarters
- balsamic vinegar glaze
- pinch sea salt + ground black pepper
- Scoop out avocado from skins and put into a bowl. Mince garlic & add to avocado. Add a dash of sea salt & black pepper (to taste). Squeeze juice from half of a lime then use a fork and press avocado + ingredient mix until desired texture achieved
- Toast bread to desired level (*tastes best near well done, not burnt*). Scoop avocado mix onto each piece of bread and smooth out with spoon. Crumble feta on top (*to taste*)
- Add chopped tomato on top and drizzle with balsamic glaze (*to taste*) That's it! 10 min prep! Serve for your Spring brunch/lunch occasions (cut toasts in half for appetizer portions!).
3) Sheet Pan Ham & Veg Egg Sandwiches
You already know our love of sheet pan cooking and you can add sheet pan eggs to our must-try menu! We made these Sheet Pan Ham & Veg Egg Sandwiches for our family Easter brunch and they were a simple & scrumptious way to gobble up all the usual brunch suspects in one sandwich bite! This one is great for a big crowd and a brilliant, time-saving way to cook eggs simply without slaving over a stove!
Sheet Pan Ham & Veggie Egg Sandwiches
- 8 slices breakfast ham precooked (*sub bacon but add 10 mins cooking time on sheet pan prior to cooking with egg*)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 14 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 plum or roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 doz mini sandwich rolls
- pinch salt & ground black pepper
- hot sauce to serve with
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk eggs, milk or half & half, scallions, green onions, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Pour olive oil onto sheet pan and coat evenly. Add chopped ham slices to sheet pan, distributing evenly. Pour the egg mixture on top of ham, then sprinkle grated cheese over top. Place pan in oven and bake 20 mins until edge of egg golden.
- Let eggs cool at least 5 minutes before cutting using a pizza cutter in 12 portions. *Optional: warm buns in oven a few minutes on a separate pan*. Serve with hot sauce or other condiment of choice!
4) Lactose-Free Protein Pancakes
Pancakes are a must for any brunch menu, and these kid-approved lactose-free protein packed ones from our beautiful friend Maya at Mayahood Blog are worth a try! Recipe HERE: Lactose-Free Protein Pancakes
5) Gluten-Free Pear Cobbler
There are so many inspiring women I’ve connected within this space, and Emily of Best of this Life is one of them. I admire her encouragement to find the beauty in our days, even the toughest ones, and her recipes always ignite my drool factor. Her Pear Cobbler would be a delicious sweet & savoury add-on to any brunch menu (bonus it’s gluten-free for those with dietary restrictions), and her Strawberry Milkshake Smoothies a pretty and perfect way to wash it all down!
Gluten-Free Pear Cobbler Recipe HERE
6) Healthy Strawberry Milkshake Smoothie
Healthy Strawberry Milkshake Smoothie Recipe HERE
Mom may also love these delicious brunch recipes & boards:
A classic Italian egg dish filled with in-season asparagi – one of my favourite spring veg!
A vintage zucchini loaf recipe I learned to make from my mother-in-law – a brunch classic baked with love!
Combine all of Mom’s flavour-ite refreshing ingredients & make it a smoothie bar!
Level-up the butter on your brunch table with a flavoured version like this Whipped Strawberry compound butter we love that tastes yum-aze on crostini, fresh baguette, pancakes & waffles!
Mom’s Favourite Things Breakfast Board
Make a big tray or board filled with your Mom’s favourite foods, like a Banana-Chocolate Bagel Brunch board! Cook the bagels French toast-style for a yum-aze breakfast idea!
Asparagus Cheese Tart
One of our favourite ways to devour in-season asparagus – smothered in fine cheeses on a crispy pastry tart! *Recipe adapted from The Food Network*.
Cheesy Asparagus Puff Pastry Tart
- 1 225 g sheet butter puff pastry *thawed; we used President's Choice; measure about 8 x 8 in size*
- 5 spears asparagus *trim, boil, blanch*
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese *shredded*
- 1 cup Fontina Cheese *shredded*
- 1 green onion *chopped - pale green to white bulb stalk portion; use dark green shoot portion for garnish*
- 3 tbsp 5% cream *whole milk, or heavier cream works as well*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil *small portion to drizzle over asparagus*
- Garlic powder *to taste*
- salt & pepper *to taste*
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese *freshly grated*
- Zest of lemon *for garnish, to taste*
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If not already, thaw your puff pastry to room temperature. Roll out & add pastry sheet to parchment paper lined sheet pan. Prick the pastry with a fork or pick evenly around the surface area. Bake on middle oven rack 5-8 minutes until edges turn slightly golden. Remove & set aside.
- In a pan, boil your asparagus in about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of water 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, drain hot water, then run the asparagus under cold water immediately to stop cooking (blanch).
- In a mixing bowl, add your eggs, cream & green onion - whip together. Fold in your shredded cheeses. Add some garlic powder & a few pinches each salt & pepper - mix.
- Smother the baked pastry tart with your egg-cheese mixture, leaving ½-¾ inch border/crust. Lay out your asparagus spears, drizzle with a bit of olive oil & sprinkle a few pinches grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese evenly over top.
- Bake on middle oven rack 400°F for about 10 minutes, then turn temp to BROIL setting and broil about 5 mins (until cheese bubbles golden). Remove from oven & let sit about 5 mins. Sprinkle a bit of lemon zest over top. Cut into small squares with a pizza cutter & serve as an appetizer, on a brunch board or as a side to your favourite salad! Delish!
A simple, delicious brunch recipe you can make with Mom’s favourite Mediterranean-inspired veggies and cheeses. A beautiful addition to slice up and serve at your Mom’s Day Brunch. Mediterranean Egg Bundt Food-torial HERE.
A little taste of Italy to bring La Dolce Vita to your Mama’s brunch spread!
Sandwich Bar – Ciabatta Egg Sandwiches
Set up a sandwich bar, like this Ciabatta Egg Sandwich brunch we make for our big brood – total crowd-pleaser!
French toast with a twist using Italian Panettone, drizzled with a thinned out Nutella mix, dusted with icing sugar & served with fresh strawberries! Delizioso!
Add all of Mom’s favourite charcuterie things into a small jar & personalize the fruit with the special “Mom Kebab” for the Mothers/Mother figures in your life – “Mom”, “Nana”, “Nonna”, “Auntie”, etc.
On a fresh baguette or our homemade crostini, Moms will love this strawberry delight finished with a balsamic drizzle! Pair with her favourite Prosecco or Sparkling Wine and give her a few moments to enjoy in peace + quiet (dolce far niente)!
Donut underestimate how beautiful these Baked Donuts with Purple White Chocolate Glaze will look on your Mom’s Day brunch table. We used THIS RECIPE and modified it slightly for the right texture (*you’ll need more almond milk then suggested*) and instead of artificial food colouring, we love this line of plant-based food colouring powders. If you want to be extra-shmancy, level up your donut tops with a light lemon-y glaze (1 cup icing sugar, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp vanilla extact, 2 tbsp milk. Whisk well by hand or with hand mixer – add/reduce milk as needed to achieve desired glaze consistency).
For the mama who’s idea of la dolce vita is dessert-all-day, this ice cream sandwiches cake topped with strawberries & cream flavours will melt her heart!
Freshly made or from your favourite local bakery, add this traditional Italian dessert to a single-serve heart dish and treat mama to the ultimate dolce with love!
Moms would love one of these International Dishes, Desserts or Cocktails
Or any of these simple recipes from our family food collection!
We’d love to hear your favourite Spring brunch recipes, or let us know what you think about any of the ones you try here! Buon appetito!
Love & light,