I don’t know about you, but our Cucina has turned into one, big holiday food workshop over here! We have lots of simple, delicious recipes coming at’cha in the weeks ahead that we think your families will love to make together and enjoy savouring the season with, even amidst the holidays that are looking a lot different this year. Today we’re sharing a super easy Italian dessert favourite of ours – Affogato al [Hot] Cioccolato. La dolce vita in a mug because don’t we all just need a cup of some cheer right about now!
What is an Affogato?
Growing up, my Italian father would often use the leftover morning’s coffee to make an Affogato – a classic, simple Italian dessert made with gelato or ice cream drowned in espresso (Uh-spreh-sow…no “EX” 😉 ). While we certainly love enjoying it the classic way, we made this kid-friendly version by swapping the strong coffee with hot chocolate, and added some of our other favourite Italian treats – smashed Baci chocolates & a drizzle of Nutella! You can use whatever ice cream/gelato you wish – we found a new Torrone flavour – stupendo! For adults, if you want to kick it up an extra-festive notch, add a shot of your favourite liqueur (brandy, amaretto, Kahlua or Baileys would be nice!)
Affogato al [Hot] Ciccolato
- 1 pkg Hot Chocolate per cup
- Gelato or Ice Cream your favourite creamy flavour - we used a specialtyTorrone flavour
- Baci Perugina Chocolates 1 per every 2 cups
- 2 tbsp Nutella
- 1 tsp water
- Add the Nutella + water to a small ramekin. Heat in microwave approx. 30 seconds. Stir well until lump-free & smooth enough consistency to drizzle.
Affogato al Hot Cioccolato
- Make your favourite hot chocolate according to package directions in your favourite mug(s). Add a scoop of your favourite ice cream/gelato to each drink.
- Drizzle the Nutella on top of each drink. Chop or smash the baci chocolates into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the Affogato al Hot Cioccolato. Optional: add your favourite festive sprinkles.
- Serve with your favourite Italian cookies - Pizzelle or mini almond biscotti are our faves! Enjoy! Tag us on Instagram @House_of_Kerrs if you try! Grazie!
We’ll be enjoying our Affogato al Hot Cioccolato on repeat this holiday season curled up with cozy blankets & Christmas movies, or around the backyard bon fire pit we set up. In previous years, we loved setting up a Hot Cocoa Bar at home. Go grab our FREE Hot Cocoa Bar printables HERE!
If dolce all day is in your holiday forecast, sip this with our Dark Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies (*in partnership with Lindt Canada*).
However you’re savouring this uncertain holiday season, our family wishes you the very best of everything & that you’re surrounded by all the things that lift your spirits right up!
Love & light,