Happy Dad’s Day weekend to all the amazing fathers & father figures, especially our DadChef, my co-captain of our crazy, the meal-making, values-instilling, role-modelling family man our home team loves the guts out of & steps up huge for us every day, in every way.
We’ll be skipping the dishes this weekend thanks to a dishwasher gone bust (ugh!), but if the way to the special dad(s) in your life’s heart is through his stomach too and you want to make a homemade something he’ll love, try one of DadChef’s Top #LaCucinadiKerrs Food Share Picks. Here are some easy and delicious Dad Approved Meal Ideas for Summer Feasting for Dad’s Day celebrations and beyond:
Antipasto Misto Salad
All of his favourite antipasti in one beautiful platter – prosciutto, melon & bocconcini on a bed of arugula!
Prosciutto Melon Bocconcini Antipasto Salad
- Melon baller scoop
- Large Serving Platter
- 6 handfuls fresh arugula *1 handful per person, so add more if needed*
- ½ cantaloupe ripened, scooped into balls or chopped into cubes
- ½ honeydew melon ripened, scooped into balls or chop into cubes
- 6 thin slices of prosciutto tear apart
- 4 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 8-10 small (*fresh mozzarella*) bocconcini balls or 6-8 bocconcini medallions *we use TreStelle*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil *2-3 tbsp - drizzle*
- Coarse Salt + ground black pepper *to taste*
- Add arugula to platter & top with melon balls/chunks, torn prosciutto & bocconcini - space out evenly.
- Drizzle olive oil over the salad & sprinkle with salt + pepper. Garnish with the fresh, chopped basil. Drizzle balsamic glaze over top right before serving. Buon appetito!
2. Grilled Chicken Parm Sandwiches with a Side of Pesto Butter
A spin on the classic Italiano Chicken Parmigiano, but this one is made without breading! Level it up by slathering some of our homemade pesto butter – deliziso!
Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches with Pesto Butter | La Cucina di Kerrs
- 3 Skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts *slice in half down the center to make thin fillets*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil *enough to lightly coat the chicken breast*
- Italiano Seasoning *to taste; we use the one by ClubHouse*
- Garlic Powder *to taste*
- 1.5 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ¾ cup Marinara Sauce *homemade or store-bought; approx. 2 tbsp per chicken fillet*
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
- ½ doz. Crustini or Ciabatta Buns
- 1 tbsp Pesto
- 1/4 cup Butter
- Drizzle olive oil & sprinkle some Italian seasoning + garlic powder on top of chicken breasts, flip & repeat on the other side.
- Grill the chicken breasts on an oven-safe skillet or your BBQ grill. When fully cooked, cut each breast in half down the center. Add a few spoonfuls of marinara sauce & some shredded mozzarella cheese on top, then broil on high in your oven until cheese bubbles golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add pesto to butter & stir together until well mixed. Store-bought pesto is fine or you can try our homemade nut-free version!
- Place grilled chicken parm breasts on your family’s favourite buns and slather some pesto butter on one side of the bun or serve on the side for your favourite grilled veggies. Garnish with some fresh basil. That’s it! Buon appetito! Tag us at @House_of_Kerrs if you try!
Inspired by our favourite pasta dish from an Italian resto we frequented in our University days, this version of Sundried Tomato Chicken Alfredo Farfalle is lightened up, while remaining creamy & yum-aze!
Sundried Tomato + Chicken Farfalle Alfredo - Lighter Version
- 900 g Farfalle Pasta (*use Whole-wheat for healthier spin*)
- 270 mL Jar of Sun-dried Tomatoes in seasoned oild (*use 3/4 of sundried tomato halves and chop finely*)
- 4 tbsp seasoned oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 kg skinless, boneless chicken breast or chicken tenders (*about 2 chicken breasts*)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper chili flakes less/more to taste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (*substitute brown rice, quinoa, or chickpea flour for healthier spin*)
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1.5 cups milk (*we used 1%*)
- 1/4 cup light PHILADELPHIA cream cheese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup mozzarella shredded
- 3/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 tbsp EACH dried parsley, dried basil, garlic powder & salt less/more to taste
- 3 twists ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- fresh basil or Italian parsley
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in large cooking pan. Add cubed chicken chunks and shake on garlic powder. Cover & let cook all the way through (*approx. 5 mins*). Set aside on plate or in bowl when finished.
- Meanwhile, start heating up water to boil pasta in large pot according to directions on package (*cook 1-2 mins under recommended time for "al dente" texture*). Pasta should be cooked around the same time the sauce is ready! (drain and set aside when done).
- Heat sun-dried tomato oil on medium heat in same pan. Add sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic & red pepper flakes and saute approx. 1-2 mins. Shake in flour and cook another 2 mins, stirring continuously (use a whisk for great results).
- Turn down heat to low & add chicken broth (keep stirring). Whisk cornstarch with milk, then add to pan along with the tomato paste, dried parsley + basil, garlic powder, salt & black pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer & continue heating/stirring until sauce thickens (approx. 4-5 mins).
- On low heat, add in cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese until all are melted. The Farfalle pasta should be cooked at this point, so either add it to the pan and toss sauce/pasta together, or spoon sauce onto pasta in the cooking pot.
- Serve plated or in a pasta bowl & garnish with extra freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or fresh basil/Italian parsley. Buon appetito!
As pre-Dad’s Day dinner appy, this Buffalo Chicken Dip in a Sourdough Bread Bowl is so Super Dad appropriate! Great way to use up any leftover chicken in the fridge too!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Sourdough Bread Bowl Recipe | La Cucina di Kerrs
- 1 loaf sourdough bread *homemade or store-bought*
- 2 cups leftover chicken *chopped/shredded, skins removed*
- 1 cup cream cheese *any - room temperature*
- Buffalo Sauce *to taste - we used about 2 tbsp*
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- fresh chives *optional: for garnish*
- Cut out the top of your sourdough loaf (*similar to how you'd carve the top of a pumpkin*) & remove a portion of the soft center so you have a nice "bowl" to put your dip into. Cut the top of the loaf you removed into cubes to place around your dip platter for nibbling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your chopped/shredded chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce & garlic powder. Mix well until all ingredients are blended together.
- Using a large spoon, scoop your buffalo dip into the sourdough bowl. Garnish with freshly chopped chives & serve with vegetables, extra bread pieces & your family's favourite munchies. Enjoy! Tag us if you try @House_of_Kerrs on social! #LaCucinadiKerrs
BBQ Greek Turkey Kebabs with Homemade Greek Marinade
- 4 tbsp White vinegar
- 8 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pkgs. of approx. 800g (0.8 kg) turkey breast fillets (skinless, boneless) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 small + 6 large size bamboo skewers
- ½ medium red onion
- ½ each green bell pepper & red bell pepper
- 6 fresh white mushrooms
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- ½ large English cucumber chopped
- 10 Grape tomatoes halved
- 1 head Romaine lettuce rinsed, chopped
- 1 handful Spring Mix Lettuce ready-to-eat or rinsed
- 1 small Red onion finely sliced
- 100 g Feta Cheese in brine cubed or crumbled
- 1 handful Kalamata Olives
Greek Salad Dressing
- 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tsp (or pinch) dried oregano, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, salt & pepper to taste (whisk in bowl or stir in dressing holder)
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Mediterranean Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients (vinegar, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper). Beat with a wire whisk or fork until well blended. Add turkey cubes; toss to coat evenly. Leave to marinate at room temperature while you prep and dice the vegetables.
- Light the BBQ. Prep Veggies: Cut onion into 6 wedges; cut red and green bell peppers each into 6 pieces.
- Prep Kebabs: To prepare kebabs, alternately thread turkey pieces with mushrooms, tomatoes, onion wedges and green/red bell peppers on large bamboo skewers. For turkey-only kebabs, add 4 pcs to small skewers.
- To make the Greek salad, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, onion and olives in a bowl. Crumble feta on top to desired amount. Just before serving, drizzle on salad dressing to taste & toss.
- When ready to grill, place turkey kebabs on BBQ (medium heat) and brush kebabs with any remaining marinade. Cook approximately 7-8 minutes on each side or until turkey is no longer pink and veggies are crisp-tender, turning occasionally. **Note: smaller skewers without veggies will cook faster** Serve the turkey kebabs and Greek salad with warm pitas, tzatziki and lemon wedges. Enjoy! Tag us at House_of_Kerrs if you try!
A good zah in any form, any time – DadChef is a pizza-holic and why we have so many versions of them in our recipe vault! If you’re looking for a flavour-combo to make beyond the usual Pepperoni & Cheese suspect, you might like any from our Pizza Bianca Collection as well as this Dad-approved Rustic Fig & Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza
Rustic Flatbread Fig & Prosciutto Pizza
- Round baking pan
- 1 pkg Premade Thin Pizza Crusts 10" rounds
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 100 mL Jar of Fig Jam *We used a Balsamic Maple Fig version from The Cheese Gallery, Ontario & also love the "Le conserve della Nonna" Fig Spread from Nonna's Kitchen in Toronto*
- 1 handful fresh arugula
- 4-6 slices prosciutto crudo thinly sliced
- 3 fresh figs sliced in ½, length-wise
- 6-10 large shavings pecorino-romano OR Parm-reggiano cheese
- Balsamic Glaze to taste
- Preheat oven 425°F
- Spread the fig jam to cover the surface of the crust & sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top. Bake right on middle rack for crispier crust, or on a round pan for softer/chewier crust 8-10 mins until cheese bubbles/browns to your liking. Let cool a few minutes.
- Toss arugula on top, fan + place the prosciutto, then add the sliced figs & slices of pecorino or parmigiano reggiano cheese, spacing nicely so when the pizza is cut, each slice will have a taste of each ingredient.
- *Optional - drizzle with balsamic glaze right before serving. That's it! Buon appetito! Tag us on Instagram @House_of_Kerrs if you try!
7. Kerr Family Steak Marinade
If your special Dad figure is a classic grilled steak kinda guy, you should try the Kerr Family Steak Marinade next time you fire up the BBQ! Seriously delish!
The Steak Marinade he learned from Grandma Kerr has no precise recipe – as much as you need as much as you like of the following ingredients is how we roll:
Kerr Family Steak Marinade
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Montreal Steak Spice
- Dijon Mustard
- Balsamic Glaze
- Ground Black Pepper
DadChef is not much of a dessert guy, but when he does dig in on the sweet stuff, ice cream cake is at the top of his list! Try our Nut-Free Ice Cream Sandwich Cake – so easy and gets gobbled up in a flash! Add some fresh berries in heart-shapes to show the love through food!
However you’re celebrating Dad’s Day, we wish you a wonderful weekend. All of these recipes are fantastic ideas for beyond Dad’s Day – add them to your Summer feasting menus all season long! Tag us if you try @House_of_Kerrs or comment below if you try! It makes us ridiculously happy to know you’ve made something special with your own foodie crew.
Keep well, eat well,