I thought I would make it through Easter preparations without using “eggs” as a lead-in to an expressive word, but guys, that’s just not a commitment I can live up to this year 😉 I remember feeling so depleted this time last year fresh to lockdown life, and well, maybe we’re well-adjusted to living life under chronic uncertainty, and we’re feeling a little more hoppy this time around. If this year’s reminded us of anything it’s to seize those feel-goods when they come & celebrate it all – even the teeny tiny bits of joy that seep in. So, if you’re up for trying one of our most Eggs-ellent Recipes for Spring Brunching or at-home celebrations, we’ve rounded up our family faves & total crowd-pleasers here:
A perfect recipe for a big family or brunching with your bubble! Add a slice of the egg to a fresh Ciabatta bun with your favourite cheese + sandwich sauce – YUM-AZE!
Sheet Pan Egg Ciabatta Sandwiches
- 18 x 13 baking sheet
- 1 cup precooked ham, chopped *leave out for vegetarian option*
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 14 Conestoga Farms Free Run Omega-3 Eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 medium tomato, *any, diced*
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 dozen small ciabatta buns
- 1 tsp each coarse salt & ground black pepper
- *optional: sliced cheese (like Swiss) & sauce to top your sandwich (we love Buffalo sauce or hot sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk eggs, milk and green onions in a large bowl.
- Pour olive oil on to baking sheet and coat evenly. Add chopped ham and diced tomato, spacing evenly around the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the ham & tomatoes, then sprinkle baby spinach and grated mozzarella cheese over top.
- Place pan in the oven and bake 20 minutes until the edges of the egg are golden.
- Remove and let the eggs cool at least 5 minutes before cutting using a pizza cutter into 12 portions. *Optional: Serve with a slice of your favourite cheese & sauce of choice!* Buon appetito!
Eggs on pizza, you say? (DadChef was hesitant too!) But it’s one of those things you need to try! Trust – SO good!
Butter Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
- 1 sheet butter puff pastry
- 6 slices precooked/sliced breakfast ham
- 1/2 ball mozzarella cheese grate
- 4-6 large eggs as many/few as you like
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon of water whisked for egg wash
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 6 clippings fresh chives snipped for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Removed puff pastry from fridge or thaw if frozen.
- Place puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Very gently roll up the edges of the pastry to create a small edge for the crust. Brush the entire pastry with the whisked egg wash.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar over pastry. Add chopped/pulled apart ham slices. Crack each egg separately in a bowl, then gently pour it onto the pastry in the desired spot. Repeat for as many eggs you'd like to add (up to 6 max). Sprinkle black pepper over toppings.
- Bake the pizza for approx. 20 mins (until the pastry and cheese are golden and the eggs are set. Removed the pizza and sprinkle with chopped chives. Wait approx. 5 mins for it to cool then slice with a pizza cutter & serve!
A simple & classic Italian egg dish! A few more steps than the sheet pan method, but so worth it! Swap out the asparagus for whatever veg you have on-hand!
Simple Asparagus Frittata Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter or cooking oil
- 6 large eggs
- 4 shallots *sliced
- 1 lb fresh asparagus bunch *thinner spears better for this recipe*
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese *use reduced fat version to lighten up*
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp fresh chives *snip with scissors into small pieces*
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 cup Italian blend or Mozzarella cheese
- Heat butter/oil on medium heat in small, oven-proof skillet. Add sliced shallots & sautee until they turn translucent (approx. 2 mins). Add asparagus & cook additional 2-3 mins.
- Beat eggs, ricotta cheese & salt together, then add snipped chives (*stir*)
- Pour egg mixture into skillet & let cook on medium until almost set, but still runny on top (about 5 mins). Meanwhile, preheat oven on Broil.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the egg mix and place in the oven to broil until cheese is melted and slightly golden brown (6-8 mins).
- Very carefully remove skillet from the oven with mitts. Let frittata sit about 5 mins to set then slice into wedges (we got six slices out of ours, but make smaller/bigger based on your crowd). Garnish with chopped chives & serve on it's own, or pair with bread and/or a Spring salad for a complete meal. Buon appetito!
Keep well, eat well,