Well friends, we made some holidaying progress this weekend – I finished our Christmas shopping in one swift 1.5 hours swoop (all online & in my PJs – JOMO!) & DadChef laid down the tarp for & did a first flood on our outdoor rink! Now back to what we love most about this season – making all the festive foods & hopefully getting it together fast enough to share with you all right here. We don’t have a holiday menu set, and if I’m being honest, with all the usual entertaining this year cancelled we’ll probably be doing a whole lot of grazing our way through the holidays instead of big, multi-course meals & I think we’re all just totally content with that appys all day kinda holiday indulging. The kids put on an impromptu Christmas concert for us this weekend & we laid out a bunch of our favourite nibblers & treats to snack on in between. I went on a no-cook appy blitz a few weeks back, and this Holiday Tree Appetizer was one of them. I made it two ways – one with avocado hummus the other with a ricotta + pesto blend. It’s as easy as spread, sprinkle & stick – honestly the hardest part was getting our tween to not eat all the pretzel sticks before I could make it 😉
Holiday Tree Pita + Flatbread No-Cook Appetizer Recipes
- 1 Multigrain Flatbread *any - we used a large circle version*
- Pita Bread Regular size - 1 pita per 2-3 people
- Pretzel Sticks *as many as the number of pita trees you make*
- 1 Bread stick *for large flatbread tree*
- 1 each Red, Green & Yellow Bell Peppers Slice, dice & use veggie cutters
- 227 g Avocado Hummus *we used a store-bought version but you could make your own*
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese *we used a lite version*
- 2-3 tbsp Pesto *store-bought or make our Nut-Free version*
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese *any will do*
- 1 handful Cherry tomatoes on the vine
- fresh basil *chopped & enough for garnish; about 4-6 leaves*
Ricotta + Pesto Holiday Tree Flatbread
- Combine ricotta + pesto in a small bowl - mix well. [*Grab our Nut-free Homemade recipe HERE or simply use a store-bought version.*] Cut into large triangle tree-shape. Spread generous amount of ricotta-pesto mix over top. Sprinkle with red & green diced bell peppers & feta cheese. Cut large slice of yellow pepper & make star-shape cut out with a veggie cutter or by hand & add to top of tree. Add cherry tomatoes like you would ornaments on a tree & lay a bread stick underneath to create a "tree trunk". Sprinkle fresh basil for garnish, slice & serve immediately.
Avocado Hummus Holiday Tree Pitas
- Cut one regular size pita down the middle into halves, then cut into small triangles (*you will get about 8 "trees" from each pita*). Spread each tree with avocado hummus. Top with red + green bell peppers & feta cheese in whatever design you fancy. Cut out stars from the yellow pepper using a mini veggie cutter or by hand and place atop each tree. Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil. Make a small slit in tree bottoms with a knife & poke each with a pretzel stick. Serve immediately. Enjoy & tag us on Instagram @house_of_kerrs or comment below if you try!
More No-Cook Holiday Appetizer Ideas
Recipes don’t need to be so holiday-proper to be a great addition to your food table. Some of our favourites are not “Christmassy” at all – they just look the part from their Italian influence ;). So, if you’re looking for more no-cook holiday appys for your festive grazing table, here are some of our other favourites we enjoy the whole year through:
Antipasto Kebabs & Salad
Burrata Share Plate
Prosciutto Fig + Arugula Crostini
If you give any of these a try with your family over the holidays, let us know! We love seeing you enjoy our simple recipes with your people more than you know 🙂 Comment below or tag us over on Instagram @House_of_Kerrs.
Keep well, eat well,