We’re celebrating Victoria Day long weekend (May 2-4) here in Canada, so when I polled you guys on our IG stories about what family recipe you wanted us to share next, I thought it might be in the salads and grilled meats categories since it’s the kick start to backyard BBQ season, but nope, you picked our Old School Mac n’ Cheese by a landslide! Looks like comfort carbs still rein in the isolation homecooking-scapades and we’re happy to give you another easy recipe to try with your gang.
“Why’d you have to go make things so complicated” – lyrics from Canadian talent Avril Lavigne swirl in my head when I see modern day recipes for Mac n’ Cheese pop up in my feeds. They all look SO good – but unnecessarily complicated and a long list of ingredients. You know simplified anything is my jam, and some classic recipes don’t need to be messed with. This easy mac is a version I watched my Mom make on slow Sundays growing up using just 4 basic ingredients – macaroni, cheese, butter & milk…that’s it! No fillers, no extra fuss.
If you want to add anything extra, veggies like cooked broccoli on top before you add the last sprinkle of cheese is the only other way we’ve made it when we want to get more greens in our meals. We use a combo of Old Cheddar & Mozzarella, but lots of cheese varieties work equally well.
We made a double-batch to have lots of leftovers for the week for our big brood, but you can cut the ingredients in half if you don’t want such a big portion. This one’s freezer-friendly if you’re looking to replenish your grab & heat stash too.
Old School Mac n' Cheese - La Cucina di Kerrs
- Large pot
- Deep Baking Dish (10 x 15)
- Cheese Grater
- 2 375 g Boxes Macaroni (or 1 750 g Bag) (*we use Catelli Smart or Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat macaroni*)
- 3/4 cup Butter (*enough to coat the macaroni nicely*)
- 2 ½ cups Milk (*we used 1% dairy milk*)
- 4 cups Cheese, grated (*we used Old Cheddar + Mozzarella blend, add more/less to taste*)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.[video width="1440" height="1072" mp4="https://houseofkerrs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Old-School-Mac-n-Cheese.HouseofKerrs.com_.mp4"][/video]
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain & put back in pot. Add butter & mix until macaroni is evenly coated.
- Scoop 1/2 of the macaroni into baking dish covering the bottom with a nice layer of pasta. Sprinkle half the grated cheese evenly over it. Then add the remainder of the macaroni for the next layer & pour all the milk over top. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese evenly over the macaroni (*or add toppings like cooked veggies, ham or bacon just before*). *Optional: a few pinches of ground black pepper on top of the cheese*
- Bake on middle rack of oven ~30 mins at 400°F, or until cheese on top is cooked to your liking. Let cool 5 mins before serving. Tag @House_of_Kerrs #LaCucinadiKerrs on Instagram if you try!
Let us know what you think if you try this Old School Mac n’ Cheese recipe or share your family’s favourite comfort carb classic in comments!
Keep well, eat well,