Our Ponzo-dillas™ Sheet Pan Recipe was born from Quesadilla night gone bust when the chicken and Mexicana ingredients I thought we had on hand, well, weren’t. All good – pizza toppings were stocked and this one worked out well. A combination of baked panzerotti (“ponzos”) with the brilliant sheet pan method of making Quesadillas is a mash up we’ll be adding to our meal rotation on the regular. Using just 6 simple ingredients – Olive oil, flour tortillas, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning and pepperoni – and under 10 mins to prep, this is another easy meal idea when you need dinner done in a dash! We’re back to a fast and full schedule and I had this one ready for an early double-header practice night. The kids loved a ponzo spin on a usual pizza night. DadChef and I loved that we have another meal idea to add to our hunger games roster to feed our big brood in one swoop! Video food-torial shared below – have fun!
Ingredients for Sheet Pan Ponzo-dillas™
Olive Oil – to grease the sheet pan and top of your Ponzo-dilla creation (I use a culinary brush to keep it light).
Large Flour Tortillas – (8) in total and white, whole wheat or whole grain all work great.
Pizza Sauce – homemade or store-bought, I used one large can in the recipe and one small can poured into a small bowl for dipping (*optional*).
Mozzarella Cheese – 1 large brick (500 g) grated, or 1 large bag of pre-shredded to keep it simple.
Pepperoni – as much as you like or leave out to keep it meatless.
Tips for Making Our Ponzo-dilla Sheet Pan Recipe
- You’ll need (2) Large Sheet pans for this recipe. One to build the Ponzo-dillas on, the other to press down and hold your creation in place while baking. We use 13 x 18 size.
- I use a culinary brush to spread the olive oil around the pan and over top of the Ponzo-dilla before baking. It helps spread the oil out nice and evenly and avoid over-greasing.
- Our family has cheese and pepperoni lovers, but there are no rules on ingredients here. Use whatever toppings you’d add to your favourite pizza or panzerotti! Mine would include: diced peppers, green olives, mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes.
- Set up a family Ponzo-dilla bar and let every one add their favourite toppings. We love doing taco bars too!
- We had this as a quick dinner, but this recipe would be a fun one for party appetizers. Just slice into smaller portions for bite-sized nibblers and serve with a side of pizza or marinara sauce for dipping.
- You’ll bake the Ponzo-dillas on 425F for 15 – 20 mins (until the top is golden). This will vary based on the strength of your oven. Ours took 17 mins, for instance.
Original Recipe X La Cucina di Kerrs for Sheet Pan Panzo-dillas
Sheet Pan Ponzo-dillas | La Cucina di Kerrs
- (2) Large Sheet Pans - we used 13 x 18"
- 8 large Flour Tortillas
- 1 large can pizza sauce *we used 398 mL; homemade is great too!*
- 500 g Mozzarella Cheese *pre-shredded or brick - grate*
- 1 pkg pre-sliced pepperoni
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil *enough to grease your sheet pan and brush over-top of your panzo-dilla creation*
- Italiano Seasoning *optional - as much as you like*
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grease your base sheet pan with olive oil (use a culinary brush to coat evenly).Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Take 7 tortillas and lay them out half way inside the pan, half way outside of the pan in the following fashion: 2 along each side, 1 at each end, 1 in the center to make sure the entire pan is covered.
- Build your ponzo-dilla starting with half of the shredded cheese for the base, then drizzle the pizza sauce over top and add your pizza toppings (we used pepperoni) + sprinkle of seasoning. Finally, top the ingredients with the remaining portion of the mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the tortillas over toward the inside of the pan nice and snug to cover the ingredients. Add the last tortilla over top to completely cover the filling, or tuck under the others. Brush a light portion of olive oil over the top.
- Take the second sheet pan, and flat side down, press on top of the ponzo-dilla pillow to seal in the ingredients and keep them compact. Leave the second sheet pan on top and bake your ponzo-dilla on the middle rack of your oven for 15-20 mins. Oven temps vary so do a check around the 15 minute mark. The ponzo-dilla is done once the top is nice and golden & crisp.
- Remove the quesadillas from the oven, let cool about 5 mins, then cut with a long knife or pizza cutter diagonally to make triangle-like slices. Lay out on a food board or platter with a side of pizza sauce for dipping to create a ponzo-dilla bar. *Optional - garnish with your favourite seasoning or herb before serving. Buon appetito! Tag us on social @House_of_Kerrs if you try! #LaCucinadiKerrs
How to Make Our Sheet Pan Ponzo-dillas™ Recipe Food-torial
More Easy Meal Ideas for Busy Families
If you enjoyed this recipe for a quick dinner idea, you may also like these family meal hits:
Back to Routine One-Pan Dinner Roll Call
We love seeing you cook it up in your Cucinas with your mini chefs so tag us @House_of_Kerrs or comment below if you try & enjoy our Sheet Pan Ponzo-dillas recipe or any other quick dinner idea!
Keep well, eat well,
Barbara Di Mambro says
What a fun dish. Have to try it the next time I have a sleepover with the grandchildren.