It’s DadChef’s Birthday week [you can’t see him blushing from the virtual gush ;)], so today’s recipe is in honour of our pizza-loving family man, and we’re celebrating even harder because this Rustic Flatbread Fig & Prosciutto version takes just 10 minutes to make! We haven’t been dining out as much as usual, and would normally take a night off of cooking & head out to celebrate but instead recreated a zah that reminds us of one of our favourites from a local restaurant with a stellar sweet & savoury combo of fig & prosciutto! Of course, we’re all about authentic wood-oven Italian pizza, but you know we’re also about keeping weeknight meals silly easy. It’s still Summer-like weather around here so we cut the cook time by A LOT using one of our favourite dinner cheats – premade thin pizza crusts or flatbreads. We love the white & multigrain versions from President’s Choice, but families looking for a grain/gluten-free option could opt for a cauliflower crust.
Other ways we enjoy the premade flatbreads/thin pizza crusts are:
Greek Style Pizza – olive oil + Greek Seasoning base, add feta, grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives, & mozzarella
Pesto Pizza – use our homemade Nut-Free Pesto as the base, add sundried tomatoes, leftover chicken, baby spinach & mozzarella!
Turkey Pepperoni + Cheese – the kids wanted nothing to do with the fig jam on our date night pizza, so of course we used the second thin pizza crust in the pack & made their usual favourite with turkey pepperoni & mozzarella version (cooks in 10-12 mins).
Rustic Flatbread Fig & Prosciutto Pizza
- Round baking pan
- 1 pkg Premade Thin Pizza Crusts 10" rounds
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 100 mL Jar of Fig Jam *We used a Balsamic Maple Fig version from The Cheese Gallery, Ontario & also love the "Le conserve della Nonna" Fig Spread from Nonna's Kitchen in Toronto*
- 1 handful fresh arugula
- 4-6 slices prosciutto crudo thinly sliced
- 3 fresh figs sliced in ½, length-wise
- 6-10 large shavings pecorino-romano OR Parm-reggiano cheese
- Balsamic Glaze to taste
- Preheat oven 425°F
- Spread the fig jam to cover the surface of the crust & sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top. Bake right on middle rack for crispier crust, or on a round pan for softer/chewier crust 8-10 mins until cheese bubbles/browns to your liking. Let cool a few minutes.
- Toss arugula on top, fan + place the prosciutto, then add the sliced figs & slices of pecorino or parmigiano reggiano cheese, spacing nicely so when the pizza is cut, each slice will have a taste of each ingredient.
- *Optional - drizzle with balsamic glaze right before serving. That's it! Buon appetito! Tag us on Instagram @House_of_Kerrs if you try!
What to pair your rustic flatbread pizza with?
This Rustic Flatbread Fig-Prosciutto pizza pairs nicely with some of our favourite salads & antipastos.
Traditional Italian Charcuterie
We hope your family loves this rustic flatbread pizza as much as we do. It’s abnormal how big my heart explodes when I see you cooking up our recipes with your families in your own Cucinas, so tag us if you try @House_of_Kerrs on IG or share your comments/photos below!
Keep well, eat well,