Our local Farmers’ Markets began to reopen last month and getting out of the house with DadChef for a bike ride to the one hosted in our local park has been a bit of simple joy and parenting reprieve we need. Strawberry season is always a sweet sign of Summer’s start, and Ontario strawberries are among the sweetest and most delish. There are lots of ways to incorporate them into simple Summer recipes, and Strawberry Pizza Bianca with Herbed Ricotta is one of my latest loves. A beautiful combo of sweet & savoury, is it a side, main or dessert? Who cares! It’s fragola delish! Our favourite way to devour it is to slice it up as an appy to enjoy al fresco (maxed out parents…pair it with your favourite Vino Bianco or Prosecco!).
Strawberry Pizza Bianca Ingredients – KEEP IT SIMPLE
This Strawberry Pizza Bianca recipe uses very simple ingredients – pizza dough, olive oil, strawberries, basil & ricotta. We simplified the recipe further by using store bought pizza dough, but it would taste yum-aze with your homemade versions too! If you don’t have the fresh basil the ingredients call for, swap in a dried version. For the strawberries, fresh, local grown and the ripest of your bunch taste best! The cooking method is via sheet pan. Although “Sheet Pan Pizza” is trending, Nonnas worldwide have been making pizza this way since forever 😉 and I’m claiming this Strawberry Pizza Bianca an new one to add to the best sheet pan pizza recipes vault!
Strawberry Pizza Bianca with Herbed Ricotta | La Cucina di Kerrs
- Sheet pan
- 1 ball of fresh pizza dough *we use a bagged store-bought version - approx. 650 grams*
- 6 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil *approx. 4 tbsp to grease your sheet pan, 2 tbsp to brush on top of your dough*
- 1 handful ripe strawberries *wash & slice length-wise*
- 1 tbsp dried, crushed basil to sprinkle on top of the dough and blend with the olive oil - you can also use fresh basil here.
- Fresh basil leaves *for garnish - as much as you like*
- Balsamic Glaze *optional - to drizzle on top before serving*
- 1¼ cups Ricotta *we use a light version*
- 4 leaves fresh basil *chopped - for the herbed ricotta*
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- flake salt & ground black pepper *to taste - we used about pinch each*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil *a splash to mix in - optional*
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease your sheet pan with olive oil & spread out your pizza dough.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top of the spread dough, sprinkle some basil over top & brush to evenly coat. Using your finger, add dimples to the dough where you want to lay your sliced strawberries & lay out your berries accordingly.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the garlic, basil, salt + pepper and splash of olive oil to your ricotta cheese and mix well. Add a dollop of the herbed ricotta sporadically on top of your strawberry adorned dough (about 6-7 spoonfuls).
- Bake your pizza on the middle rack of your oven approx. 15-20 minutes (+/- depending on the strength of your oven). The pizza is done when the bottom is crisp and golden (*check at the 10 minute mark*). If you want to cook the ricotta on top a bit more, set your oven to BROIL, and cook until desired doneness (watch closely so as to not burn the top!).
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let cool approx. 5 minutes before slicing with a pizza cutter. Serve on your favourite food board, garnish with fresh basil leaves! Optional: add a drizzle of balsamic glaze! Enjoy with your favourite Summer salad for a meal, or as an al fresco dining appetizer! This Strawberry Pizza Bianca with Herbed Ricotta pairs wonderfully with your favourite Vino Bianco or Prosecco! Buon appetito! Tag us on social @House_of_Kerrs if you try this original family recipe!
More Ways to Enjoy Homemade Herbed Ricotta
MORE WAYS TO USE STRAWBERRIES WE LOVE
If you’re looking for more ways to use strawberries in the yummiest or unique ways this Summer, try them as a substitute for tomatoes in some of your Italian-inspired recipes, like Caprese Salad or Bruschetta! We’ve also been slicing some up and freezing them in a Ziploc to use in baking, on top of desserts, in smoothies and beverages [*parents think Strawberry Sangria!*]. You can also level-up your brunching and add some to our Whipped Strawberry Butter recipe (or first food share to go viral!)
Our family calls this the “Celebrate-it-All” cake because we enjoy it all year long to celebrate things big & small! It’s nut-free to keep it inclusive for all of our family & friends with food allergies and it’s SO easy to make with your little kitchen helpers! Our fellow “not a baker”s will love this one! And the sliced, fresh strawberries just make it look so dang pretty!
More Pizza Bianca Recipes to Try
If you love this Strawberry Pizza recipe, we think you’ll love these other Pizza Bianca ideas! They’re our flavour-ite ways to enjoy zah in the Summer!
Our Strawberry Pizza Bianca with Herbed Ricotta is an original family recipe you won’t find on Google, so if you try it & love it, comment below or tag us in your creations on social @House_of_Kerrs! We’re game to try new recipes with fresh strawberries so share your family’s favourite ways to incorporate them in your family meals with us! A strawberry recipe swap! 😉
Keep well, eat well,