Disclosure: I have partnered with YMC and Turkey Farmers of Ontario and have received compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.
With the arrival of warmer temps (finally!), we’ve been spending tons of time outdoors poolside, and savouring a slower, simpler pace of life outside of hockey season. We’re loving dining al fresco and firing up the grill to keep meals quick and easy.
Keeping kids seated for a family meal at the best of times is a challenge, never mind when the fun of the pool and being free to explore outdoors is calling their names, so making a super nutritious meal, in a simplified fashion is how we roll this season!
I’ve been making smarter, healthier food choices for myself lately, and have been more mindful of the foods I’m feeding our gang also. My Dad cooked a meal with turkey once a week when we stayed with them in between moving houses a few years ago and really got me into cooking with this healthier alternative to other meat options more often. I also love that it’s an affordable protein with portions that can feed our large crew of six at a reasonable price point, it’s simple to cook (both in the oven and on the BBQ) and packed with nutrition.
One of my favourite (and refreshing) meals to make in the warm, sunshiny months of Summer is Greek Kebabs paired with pita, salad and tzatziki. It’s also a BIG hit when entertaining family and friends through the season. Substitute Turkey for the traditional meat versions…it’s delicious! I make two versions of the kebabs to please all – one with roasted veggies, and one with just meat. The Greek salad dressing is a homemade recipe passed down from my Mother-in-law that we keep mixed in plentiful supply all season long.
Here’s how to make this Summer crowd pleaser:
Greek Style Turkey Kebabs
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- White vinegar (4 tbsp)
- Olive Oil (8 tbsp)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 packs of approx. 800g (0.8 kg) turkey breast fillets (skinless, boneless), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 small + 6 large size bamboo skewers
- ½ red onion (medium)
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 6 fresh white mushrooms
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- ½ large English cucumber
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 handful spring mix lettuce
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 100g feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- Handful of Kalamata olives
Dressing: 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tsp (or pinch) dried oregano, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, salt & pepper to taste (whisk in bowl or stir in dressing holder)
Cooking + Prep Steps
1) In a small bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients (vinegar, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper). Beat with a wire whisk or fork until well blended. Add turkey cubes; toss to coat evenly. Leave to marinate at room temperature while you prep and dice the vegetables.
2) Light the BBQ
3) Prep Veggies: Cut onion into 6 wedges; cut red and green bell peppers each into 6 pieces.
4) Prep Kebabs: To prepare kebabs, alternately thread turkey pieces with mushrooms, tomatoes, onion wedges and green/red bell peppers on large bamboo skewers. For turkey-only kebabs, add 4 pcs to small skewers.
5) To make the Greek salad, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, onion and olives in a bowl. Crumble feta on top to desired amount. Just before serving, drizzle on salad dressing to taste & toss.
6) When ready to grill, place turkey kebabs on BBQ (medium heat) and brush kebabs with any remaining marinade. Cook approximately 7-8 minutes on each side or until turkey is no longer pink and veggies are crisp-tender, turning occasionally. **Note: smaller skewers without veggies will cook faster**
- Warm pita bread (cut in quarters)
- Place Tzatziki in a small bowl
- Slice Lemon wedges (to squeeze on meat and/or garnish plate)
Serve the turkey kebabs and Greek salad with warm pitas, tzatziki and lemon wedges.
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe if you give it a go! In the meantime, tell us some of your favourite ways to cook with turkey this BBQ season!
For more meal inspo all year long, check out Ontario Turkey’s featured recipes!