Charlevoix, Quebec is a beautiful, awe-inclusive region that offers a wide range of family-friendly activities in the winter. Just 1 hour outside of Quebec City, Charlevoix’s proximity to the winter fun of snow-covered mountains, the St. Lawrence River, and stunning natural surroundings to wander, plus it’s delectable, internationally renowned farm-to-table cuisine, offers families of all ages and tastes the opportunity to immerse in this lesser known, yet no less amazing region of Quebec. If you’re looking to embrace the last bits of winter or an idea for next, Charlevoix is calling for your next family adventure, here’s why you should go – Winter Family Getaway to Charlevoix, Quebec: Where to Stay, Eat and Wander!
**Article has been published on AllWaysTraveller.com**
*Disclosure: House of Kerrs earns compensation, hosted travel experiences and/or commissions from travel partner links we use ourselves to facilitate our reviews and keep our travel content flowing. As always, opinions are our own and reflect our authentic experience. Read our Disclosure*
Where to Stay – Club Med Charlevoix, Quebec
At the base of the majestic Le Massif de Charlevoix lies Canada’s only truly all-inclusive mountain resort – Club Med Charlevoix -, offering families a fantastic option where almost all your food and fun needs are handled upon check-in, and an array of amenities to please all-ages awaits.
Here’s why you should consider Club Med Charlevoix for your family escape:
1. All-Inclusive Allure – Club Med Charlevoix is an all-inclusive resort, meaning all meals, snacks, drinks, and most activities are included in the price of your stay. Parents get how fabulous having most things handled to actually get a real vacation in is travelling with kids. Having most of your amenities covered under one package price also makes it easy for families to budget and plan your vacation without worrying about unexpected expenses.
What’s included? Your accommodation, gourmet meals and satisfying snacks, premium drinks, indoor/outdoor activities, access to le Massif de Charlevoix and its ski lifts, ski lessons in winter months, and entertainment.
What’s not included? Off-site excursions, spa treatments and ski equipment rental.
NOTE: at the time of our stay (*the first week of its opening*), weather conditions made visibility on the ski hills unsafe, and ski lifts inoperable, meaning we didn’t get to try out Le Massif to offer an authentic review of the slops. While this was a massive disappointment, we did not have any trouble occupying our time with various other activities in and outside of the resort and still had a wanderful experience.
2. Family-friendly accommodations: The resort offers a variety of family-friendly accommodations, including interconnecting rooms and suites, which are well-suited for families with children and multi-generational groups. Our family of six stayed in interconnecting Superior Suite-style quarters, which worked out well for our dynamic – two bathrooms to use and extra storage space for winter gear. We found the rooms to be nicely decorated with a contemporary meets Quebec-appropriate ambiance.
All rooms have spectacular views of Charlevoix – ours with outdoor balconies I stepped out onto to enjoy my morning coffee each morning and soak in the sunrise over the St. Lawrence River – perks of being the only early-riser of my family now ;).
3. Quality Kid’s Clubs: Club Med Charlevoix offers Kid’s Clubs for children aged 4 months to 17 years (you read that right – this resort is one of Club Med’s “Baby Friendly Club” resorts!), which are run by trained professionals (GO staff – “Gentil Organiseur”) and offer a range of age-appropriate activities and games. Our kids ages 5 and 7 years old enjoyed their day time stays at the kids’ club, and learning to make a chocolate Quebec dessert one of their favorite parts. Staff are on-hand at night, as well if parents want to immerse in after-dark entertainment with peace of mind the kids are enjoying their time also.
4. Sports and activities: The resort offers a wide range of sports and activities for families, including skiing, snowboarding, ice-skating, snowshoeing, hiking, and more in the winter season. When the ski hills were closed, we hit the outdoor rink just outside the entertainment complex and went on a wintry hike at a trail nearby. The resort also has a fantastic indoor pool for family swims (and races!) in between all the other on-site activities for kids and adults. The active members of your brood will not have any trouble finding a great activity to enjoy here.
5. Wellness activities: For parents looking for some relaxation and rejuvenation, Club Med Charlevoix offers a variety of wellness activities, such as yoga, meditation, and spa treatments. Take advantage of the time you’ll have to unwind sans kiddos while they’re off having too much fun to notice at the kids’ club!
6. Cultural activities: The resort is located in the heart of the Charlevoix region, which is known for its rich culture and history. Club Med Charlevoix offers a range of cultural activities, such as guided tours of the region, local cuisine workshops, and more.
7. Entertainment: Club Med Charlevoix offers a range of entertainment options for families, including nightly shows, live music, and more. The “Charlevoix’s Got Talent” show with get-out-of-your seat-prompting dance choreo, high caliber vocals and impressive aerial acrobatics in the entertainment hall was a performing arts spectacle and greatly enjoyed by our whole fam.
Overall, Club Med Charlevoix is a great resort for families because it offers something for families of all-ages, whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure, cultural activities, or just some relaxation and quality time to connect with your crew. Understanding the premium prices of booking this all-inclusive resort may be out of touch for many families, there are lots of other family-friendly spots to stay in the region within a nice distance from some of the area’s best activities for all-ages fun!
Booking Discount for Families – Club Med Charlevoix
If you’re ready to book your family getaway to Club Med Charlevoix, our readers can take advantage of a $100 CAD discount credit. You’ll need to book directly with the resort’s Contact Center at 1-888-932-2582 (or through your preferred travel agency) and quote “Sonya Kerr” and our GM Number 19524441, and you’ll receive a $100 Referral Credit on Club Med Charlevoix, or any other Club Med Resort. *Note: Kids 4 years of age and under stay FREE; weekend visits require a 2-night minimum stay*.
Where to Eat – Family Getaway Charlevoix, Quebec
Hit the Flavour Trail for a Foodie Family Adventure
From Petite-Rivière-Saint-François to La Malbaie Charlevoix, taste makers and local producers have created a gastronomic adventure – the Flavour Trail. Foodie families can try award-winning cheeses, sample organic game and meat products, and a whole menu of locally-grown foods to satisfy the senses. Charlevoix’s agritourism tour is a must-try experience for your hungry brood. Check out this comprehensive Guide to Charlevoix’s Flavour Trail to make your selections.
Gourmet Dining at Club Med Charlevoix
Internationally-inspired cuisine made with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients with a gourmet spread of food options for every taste makes Club Med Charlevoix a top spot for quality eats in Charlevoix. Terroir & Co. offers immersive table service dining on family-style eats like fondue and raclette made from local cheeses and charcuterie, while Le Marché offers buffet-style fare with international and locally-inspired flair and gorgeous panorama views of the St. Lawrence and Le Massif while you dive in.
Our kids especially loved the waffle and pizza stations, Nutella fountain and Ice Cream Sundae Bar! Us parents loved the fresh, local seafood spread, carving stations of quality meats, and the huge variety of food selections our whole brood had not trouble finding something they enjoyed munching on. As a food photographer, I loved the gorgeous presentation of the plated fare.
There is also Le Chalet restaurant offering a more intimate setting, and rotating menu but we didn’t have the opportunity to try it during our visit. The best part about dining at Club Med Charlevoix is it’s all included with your stay. Reservations required at Terroir & Co. & Le Chalet.
Where to Wander – Things to Do in Charlevoix, Quebec for Families of All-ages
Charlevoix, Quebec is an awe-inducing region of Quebec that offers a wide range of family-friendly activities to enjoy in the winter and beyond. Here are some things you can do with your family on your winter getaway to this fabulous destination:
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Charlevoix has many ski resorts that offer skiing and snowboarding for all levels. The Mont Grand-Fonds and Le Massif are two popular ski resorts in the area. At Club Med Charlevoix, you’ll will be able to take advantage of the 54 trails of the Massif de Charlevoix . Tickets for access to the ski lifts as well as lessons and workshops for young and old (from 4 years old) are included in your stay, but not the rental of equipment. As in any good ski-in/ski-out resort offers, you can put on your skis directly at the hotel and hit the slopes from the locker/change room.
2. Dog Sledding: Experience the thrill of dog sledding and enjoy the beautiful winter scenery at the same time. Several companies offer dog sledding tours in Charlevoix.
3. Ice Skating: Skate on the ice at the outdoor rink and trail in the heart of Baie-Saint-Paul, in the beautiful setting of the Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, or on the ODR at Club Med Charlevoix.
4. Snowshoeing: Enjoy a peaceful walk through the snowy forests and trails on snowshoes. Several companies offer guided snowshoeing tours, or enjoy this activity complimentary as part of your stay at Club Med Charlevoix.
5. Visit the Musée de Charlevoix: Learn about the history and culture of the region at the Charlevoix Museum, which features exhibits on art, history, and local traditions. A great way for your family to warm up and immerse in an edu-taining, indoor experience together.
6. Enjoy the Local Cuisine: Foodie families, you’re in a top-notch gastro-hub of Canada, hence my reason for mentioning that immersing in the food scene in the region is a must! Charlevoix is known for its high-quality, locally-sourced cuisine, including delicious cheese, meats, and seafood. Visit a local restaurant or market to try some of the region’s specialties. Baie-Saint-Paul is a popular spot for family dining with charming shops and bistros dotting the village – walk off your meal by taking in the region’s art & boutique shopping scene afterward.
7. Be Moved by the Mountains: a no-cost sight for the senses, simply soak in the mountain vistas and allure of the Charlevoix region while you wander this magnificent place by car or foot with your family.
How to Get to Charlevoix, Quebec
Charlevoix is about an hour outside of Quebec City, which you can reach by car, plane, train or bus. Our visit to Charlevoix was an extension of a multi-region visit to Quebec by road trip. Here’s the travel time by car from Toronto and other popular spots for families to visit in Quebec (*weather permitting*):
From Toronto – about 9 hours
From Montebello – just over 5 hours
From Mont Tremblant – just under 5 hours
From Montreal & Laval – close to 4 hours
From Quebec City – just over 1 hour
NOTE: Club Med Charlevoix offers a for-fee shuttle service from transit stations in the surrounding Quebec regions. Contact them ahead of your visit to inquire & arrange. If you’re travelling to Charlevoix via car, plan your commute for day time hours. We arrived at night and the drive in around winding mountain roads with low light and visibility made for a white-knuckle kind of experience.
How Long Should you Stay in Charlevoix for your Family Getaway
Our winter visit to Charlevoix was over 2 & 1/2 days, and admittedly, not enough for everything we were inspired to take in. I’d highly recommend a 3-4 night stay if you’re visiting Charlevoix with your family.
Our winter family getaway to Charlevoix was an awe-inclusive adventure where forever-memories were made. If you’re looking for a fabulous mini-escape with your crew to embrace the last stretch of winter, we hope this guide on where to stay, eat and wander with your family in Charlevoix is a helpful resource. Hit me up in the comments or via email if you have any questions.
More Family Travel Resources to Quebec & Beyond
Here are more getaways we’ve enjoyed in Quebec, and road trips in North America to inspire your next fam-venture:
WINTER FUN GUIDE TO QUÉBEC CITY FOR FAMILIES: WHERE TO STAY, EAT & EXPLORE
WINTER FAMILY FUN GUIDE TO MONTEBELLO, QUÉBEC: WHERE TO STAY, EAT & EXPLORE
BEST FAMILY ROAD TRIPS FROM TORONTO IN CANADA & THE USA
PIN POST FOR LATER!
Keep well, wander safely,
Leave a Reply