Sundried Tomato + Chicken Farfalle Alfredo - Lighter Version
With a lightened-up version of a typically rich Italian sauce, try this Sundried Tomato + Chicken Alfredo for a family Valentine's Day dinner at home.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 900 g Farfalle Pasta (*use Whole-wheat for healthier spin*)
- 270 mL Jar of Sun-dried Tomatoes in seasoned oild (*use 3/4 of sundried tomato halves and chop finely*)
- 4 tbsp seasoned oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 kg skinless, boneless chicken breast or chicken tenders (*about 2 chicken breasts*)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper chili flakes less/more to taste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (*substitute brown rice, quinoa, or chickpea flour for healthier spin*)
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1.5 cups milk (*we used 1%*)
- 1/4 cup light PHILADELPHIA cream cheese
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup mozzarella shredded
- 3/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 tbsp EACH dried parsley, dried basil, garlic powder & salt less/more to taste
- 3 twists ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- fresh basil or Italian parsley
Heat olive oil on medium heat in large cooking pan. Add cubed chicken chunks and shake on garlic powder. Cover & let cook all the way through (*approx. 5 mins*). Set aside on plate or in bowl when finished.
Meanwhile, start heating up water to boil pasta in large pot according to directions on package (*cook 1-2 mins under recommended time for "al dente" texture*). Pasta should be cooked around the same time the sauce is ready! (drain and set aside when done).
Heat sun-dried tomato oil on medium heat in same pan. Add sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic & red pepper flakes and saute approx. 1-2 mins. Shake in flour and cook another 2 mins, stirring continuously (use a whisk for great results).
Turn down heat to low & add chicken broth (keep stirring). Whisk cornstarch with milk, then add to pan along with the tomato paste, dried parsley + basil, garlic powder, salt & black pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer & continue heating/stirring until sauce thickens (approx. 4-5 mins).
On low heat, add in cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese until all are melted. The Farfalle pasta should be cooked at this point, so either add it to the pan and toss sauce/pasta together, or spoon sauce onto pasta in the cooking pot.
Serve plated or in a pasta bowl & garnish with extra freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or fresh basil/Italian parsley. Buon appetito!