Tuscan Panzanella Salad
A rustic Tuscan salad using up stale bread & incorporating basic ingredients typically enjoyed in the warmer months. Measurements are approximations as you can add/leave out according to your family's size and build the salad to taste. You can't do this one wrong!
- 1/2 loaf stale italian bread cut into chunks/cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes any you have on hand, diced or about 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil enough to generously coat the ingredients
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar half as much as the oil you've used
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella tear into small chunks (*substitute with whatever fresh cheese you have on hand, like bocconcini)
- 4 leaves fresh basil chopped, to taste (or used dried basil)
- coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese to taste
Add stale bread chunks to a bowl filled with a bit of water. Swish around about 10 seconds then remove & add to your salad bowl.
Grab your tomatoes, squeeze out juices into your salad bowl then add in.
Add your red onion, buffalo mozzarella & basil.
Drizzle olive oil and pinches of salt & pepper to taste. Toss well, cover & refrigerate about an hour to let flavours mix together a bit more. *Refrigeration is optional - we've also enjoyed this one immediately after prep* Sprinkle with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese just before serving. Buon appetito!
TAG: @House_of_Kerrs #LaCucinadiKerrs on IG if you try!