One-Pot Pasta e Fagioli
Try this modern one-pot twist on a classic Italian Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta + Beans) recipe! Made with simple, nutritious ingredients you probably already have stocked in your pantry/fridge.
Servings: 6 people
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 medium carrots peeled & chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cans chickpeas or cannellini beans
- 1.5 cups small shaped pasta elbow, shells, ditalini or cavatappi
- 2 cups chopped kale or other leafy veg like escarole or spinach
- 4 cups low-sodium broth vegetable, chicken or beef
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- coarse salt + ground black pepper to taste
- *Optional Spicy Kick: dash of crushed red pepper flakes*
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot & saute until softened (~5 mins). Add garlic & coo 2 more mins. Drop in Bay Leaves.
Add diced tomatoes, broth & beans. Stir in Italian seasoning. Season with salt + pepper. Let simmer on medium 15 mins.
Stir in pasta & add leafy greens. Under cook the pasta by 2 mins from suggested pasta cooking instructions (for al dente) (*Note: Italians usually make this with dried beans, sometimes with crumbled sausage/meat & usually cook the pasta separately & add to the mixture at the end. I removed these steps to keep it a simple One-Pot meal*).
After pasta cooks to al dente, turn the heat off & let the mixture sit for a few minutes. Remove the Bay Leaves.
Serve with your favourite Italian break & garnish with parsley, chili pepper flakes and/or freshly grated parmesan cheese. BUON APPETITO!