Zucchini Pizza Bianca
Zucchini Pizza Bianca is a crowd-pleaser & delicious way to incorporate farm fresh veg on a pizza. Slice up in squares & serve on a platter for your family gatherings. I bet there won't be any leftover!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 portion fresh pizza dough
- 1/2 medium-size yellow zucchini sliced very thin into coin shapes
- 1/2 medium-size green zucchini sliced very thin into coin shapes
- red onion thinly sliced to taste (*3 cuts into the onion yielded enough for this recipe*)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil for coating the baking sheet & to brush on top of the dough (*may need 1-2 tbsp more*)
- 4 cloves sauteed or fresh garlic sliced thinly or minced
- 1 tbsp thyme fresh or dried
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese freshly grated
- fresh basil for garnish, 4-6 leaves
- Coarse salt & fresh ground black pepper a few pinches each
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Coat the baking sheet pan evenly with a thin layer of olive oil. Hand-stretch or roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin, then lay out on the pan. Keep hand-stretching the dough length-wise & into the corners of the pan until desired size/shape. (*if the dough was taken straight from the fridge, it could take up to 20 mins for the dough to settle nicely into the pan*).
Brush the top of the dough with a light coating of olive oil & sprinkle a few pinches of thyme evenly. Add the sliced/minced garlic, then place the zucchini slices in desired pattern on top (*I alternated between the yellow & green slices in 6 across, and 10 rows down*). Spread the sliced onion over top.
Sprinkle the tops of the zucchini/onion with pinches of salt & pepper, thyme + parmigiano cheese, then evenly spread the mozzarella on top. Bake on middle rack ~20 mins, or until cheese bubbles & the bottom of the pie is golden. Remove & let cool at least 5 mins before slicing into small squares. Garnish with fresh basil & serve on a family-style platter. Buon appetito!Tag us if you try @House_of_Kerrs #LaCucinadiKerrs on Instagram!
This is optional for this recipe, but taking under 7 mins more to saute the garlic will elevate the pizza's flavour. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium in a pan. Take one whole garlic & break up the cloves. Press each one lightly with your palm against the flat, dull part of a knife to loosen the skins. Leave the skins on and add to the heated oil + a few pinches of coarse salt. Cook each side about 2-3 mins, remove & set aside. When ready to use, pinch the clove out of the skins & add to dishes whole or chopped.