Penne Pasta al Forno | La Cucina di Kerrs
Penne Pasta al Forno - warm, cheesy, saucy, oven-baked goodness using up protein, vegetable & pasta leftovers! A 30 minute one-dish recipe wonder to add to your cold weather comfort foods meal rotation!
- 1 450 g bag penne pasta *we used the whole wheat version by Molisana*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil *to drizzle on pasta*
- Butter *to coat cooked pasta* OPTIONAL: not necessary if you prefer to use olive oil
- Tomato or meat sauce *enough to generously coat the amount of pasta you're baking*; we used our homemade sauce - store-bought is fine too!
- 1 medium Zucchini *shredded/grated/spiralized* - OR whatever cooked veg you need to use up!
- 1.5 cups Leftover sheet pan roasted cauliflower *cut into smaller pieces - OPTIONAL: use whatever roasted/cooked vegetables you have leftover*
- 1.5 cups Leftover cooked chicken *cut/shred leftover chicken into smaller pieces - OPTIONAL - can leave out to keep dish vegetarian*
- 1 320 g bag shredded Mozzarella *approx. 3 cups*
- 1 190 g ball Mozzarella Fresca *we love the one by Saputo*; tear into smaller pieces
Preheat oven to 400°F. Add your leftover cooked penne pasta to a casserole dish (*or cook fresh according to package instructions*). Drizzle a bit of olive oil over top (not necessary if your penne was coated with butter/oil already).
Add your leftover cooked veg and chicken evenly over top of the pasta as well as half of the torn Mozzarella Fresca.
Add a generous amount of sauce (enough to cover the portion of pasta you've added nicely), then sprinkle your shredded mozzarella over top. Finish by adding the rest of your Mozzarella Fresca evenly on top of the shredded cheese.
Bake on middle rack of your oven (uncovered) approximately 20-25 minutes, or until cheese bubbles golden. Remove from oven & let sit at least 5 minutes before serving. Optional: garnish with fresh basil. That's it! Buon appetito! Tag us at @House_of_Kerrs if you try!