Baby it’s cold outside, but there’s so much fun to be had in our wintery outdoors! The countdown to Winter Break is on, and I don’t know about your family, but too much time indoors is a ticket to insanity-ville around here. Get outside! For some cold weather, Canadian family fun, check out these 15 outdoor activities to enjoy as a family this Winter – most of them budget-friendly!
*Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links, meaning if you click on them, we may earn a small commission for the recommendation we re-invest into our family business to keep this site running. Shopping from these links doesn’t cost you a thing, and all recommendations are those we’ve used & love ourselves.*
1) Lace-up those skates and head to an outdoor rink. Most municipalities have one they maintain for public use. Check out your Town’s Winter Guide, or why not head to one of “Canada’s Top 11 Rinks”? Two of those listed can be found right here in the GTA. We’d also add our family faves – Harbourfront Centre’s Natrel Rink & The Bentway
2) Build an outdoor ice rink in your backyard with DIY Ice Skating Rink kits . These have been thoroughly enjoyed by our hockey-loving family.
5) Head to a Christmas market and try some new foods and treats!
6) Go tobogganing or tubing. Some of the best hills/runs in the GTA can be found here including one of our top picks for PA Days & March Break – The ROC in Georgina! Some of our favourite sledding gear for families of all ages HERE.
7) Build a fort and have a snowball fight with your kids (or your spouse/partner).
8) Bundle up and head out for a family hike. Nothing beats the restorative effects of heading out in nature. We love the AllTrails app to find new trails easily, many through beautiful forested areas for a little nature therapy termed “forest bathing”. Seriously, we’re all our bests selves after our treks outdoors and have even embraced doing them this Winter season.
12) Check out Groupon, Wag Jag and other deal dishing sites for outdoor family activities at discount prices. Shop these family activities using RAKUTEN.ca (*referral link*) and get cashback on your Winter entertainment from both WagJag & Groupon!
13) Set up an obstacle course in the yard with hula hoops, jumps, tunnels and other challenges.
14) Make snow paint. Simply add food colouring to water and put in a spray bottle, then go out and colour your outdoor world!
15) Build a snowman with outdated winter accessories, or pick up an old fashioned snowman kit [*affiliate link*].
Hope you found some of these ideas useful! Have a great time venturing out making family memories in our wintery wonderland this season!