When the temps around here are still feeling a whole lot like Summer, but we’re also on the eve of Autumn, this Grilled Haullomi Power Bowl + Homemade Garlic Dill Dressing Recipe is a great segue recipe into all the hearty meals of Fall. I love salads packed with grains, seeds & seasonal veggies anytime of year really, though. Adding the mild-tasting Mediterranean-inspired Haullomi cheese levels this power bowl right up & nice switch up for family’s looking for a meatless meal.
The kids got a kick out of watching me grill the cheese right in the skillet (Haullomi resists melting by nature, making it perfect for grilling or cooking), and enjoyed it on some pita while I prepped this recipe.
This recipe’s been in drafts since the start of Summer, so if I were to make it today [which I am ;)], I’d add some roasted seasonal veg like butternut squash or sweet potato. We also love power bowls as a leftover makeover for cooked meat (heat + shred up some chicken, dice up cooked ham, add your leftover ground taco meat, etc.).
We enjoyed this with a homemade Garlic Dill Greek Yogurt Dressing that can be used 3 ways – 1) A dip for veggies (lay it out to ward off the after-school hangries!); 2) A dressing for salads; and 3) As a marinade for grilled meats (just add a bit more olive oil & marinate the covered meat in the fridge at least 4 hours). NOTE: the dressing/dip tastes best when you make it ahead & let refrigerate a few hours before serving.
This is one of those recipes where exact measurements go out the window & you can make, modify & enjoy to your family’s liking. We used red quinoa – it’s a bit chewier in texture & holds up a bit better in salads – but feel free to use whatever grain/quinoa you have on hand. For your fellow fussy foodies who don’t like their meals all mixed up, we plated all the ingredients separately & served with cut up whole wheat pita. If you’re not a big fan of dill, we love this power bowl just as much with a dollop of hummus!
Grilled Haoullomi Power Bowl + Garlic Dill Dressing
- Red quinoa (*portion according to family size*)
- 250 g Haullomi (or "Halloom") Cheese semi-soft, unripened - cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
- Diced cucumber, radish, pickled beats, red onion & any other fresh veggies you like
- handful grape or cherry tomatoes
- Mixed Greens or Boston lettuce ready to use, or wash & chop
- pumpkin seeds raw or dry roasted
Garlic Dill Dressing
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ fresh lemon
- 1 pinch Coarse Mediterranean salt to taste
- ½ tbsp fresh dill chopped
- Cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside & let cool.
- Brown haullomi slices on MEDIUM heat in a pan/skillet for 2-3 mins a side or until golden. *DO NOT PREHEAT PAN*
- Build your bowl with the ingredients - lettuce for the base, then quinoa, chopped veggies, haullomi & seeds. Drizzle a bit of olive or your favourite vegetable oil over top, then add the homemade garlic dill dressing or dollop of hummus. That's it! Serve with naan or pita cut up. Buon appetito! Tag us if you try @House_of_Kerrs
Garlic Dill Dressing
- In a small serving bowl, add the yogurt, then the minced garlic, dill, olive oil, salt & lemon juice. Mix well & serve right away or refrigerate for best taste for 2 hours prior. Leftover dressing will last in the fridge a few days.
Hope you enjoy this simple grilled haullomi power bowl & please share what you think when you do. If you’re on the prowl for more easy-peasy family meal ideas to kick dinner stress to the curb, we have TONS in our Instagram highlights we don’t always have time to shoot for the blog (like roasted & jerk chicken, pasta bakes, roasts, sheet pan meals & more!). Or if you’re looking for a delicious, refreshing salad to send off Summer that also helps you use up some stale bread, give our Tuscan Panzanella Salad a try!
Keep well, eat well